Thursday, July 24, 2008

Singapore in a nutshell

As I headed through the MRT station this morning the chap in front of me accidentally dropped thirty dollars on the floor and, not noticing his error, continued walking briskly.

Two other guys were situated between me and the money-dropper. They looked at each other, but nothing was said.

As would be expected, one of them made a beeline for the cash, scooping it up within a few seconds of it touching the ground.

This window had been enough for my brain to respond - I had already performed a complete and full assessment of local lunch options on a thirty dollar budget - but my feet had remained frozen to the floor. Visions of steak fading and cursing my slow early-morning reactions, I watched him fold up the notes but, rather than put them in his wallet, extend them towards the other guy.

Fair enough that he split 50-50 with his mate, I thought.

But no. In the time that person A had taken to pick up the notes, person B had run after the dropper, got his attention and brought him back to the spot. I'd estimate that the man was not parted from his cash for more than a total of 30 seconds.

What a jolly nice country this is.

I bought some green tea flavoured bread yesterday. Sadly it wasn't as nice as it sounds.

Apologies for lack of recent blogs by the way. I have received no less than three complaints about it in the past week. My main excuse is that I have begun mandarin lessons, which are occupying a fair chunk of my evenings (will write a post about it sometime if you're lucky). My other excuse is that I just couldn't be arsed. Pick whichever one you prefer. Will try harder in future.

Toodles for now.

No comments: